NL Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation which operates under the authority of the Housing Corporation Act. It is governed by a Board of Directors appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council. The Board represents different geographic areas and interest groups and reports to the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador through the Minister of Children, Seniors and Social Development and Minister Responsible for the Newfoundland and Labrador. NL Housing's clientele consists of individuals and families with low-to-moderate incomes who require assistance in accessing or maintaining safe, adequate and affordable housing. The programs delivered serve renters, homeowners, those at risk of, or who are experiencing, homelessness and distinct populations whose housing needs are particularly acute, including persons with disabilities, persons with complex needs, seniors, youth, victims of intimate partner violence and Indigenous persons.
NL Housing offers a diverse range of programs across the housing continuum to meet the needs of clients, including:
• Operation and maintenance of the Corporation's 5,575 public social housing units throughout the Province to over 12,000 low-income clients.
• Partner-Managed Housing Program that provides financial and technical support to partner-managed and cooperative housing providers offering subsidized housing to over 1,600 low to moderate income households throughout the province.
• Rental Supplement Program that provides rental assistance to low-income households in private accommodations which assists over 2,000 lowincome individuals secure affordable housing.
• Home Repair programs that provide financial assistance to over 1,400 low-income homeowners to complete much needed repairs to their homes, improve accessibility or to make energy efficiency improvements.
• Supportive Living Program that provides grants to non-profit organizations to provide services and supports or build community capacity towards addressing and preventing homelessness. In 2019-20, this program funded 22 partner organizations to deliver 28 projects across Newfoundland and Labrador, supporting over 5,000 individuals.
• Emergency Shelter Program which manages a 24/7 toll free number to support individuals experiencing homelessness. NL Housing engages a range of non-profit and private shelter operators to respond to required emergency shelter placement for individuals experiencing homelessness and connect them to supports to secure permanent housing as quickly as possible. In 2019-20, over 1,000 individuals accessed services of this program.
• Transition Housing Program that provides funding to the Province's 10 transition houses to provide safe short-term accommodations, services and resources to support women and their children who are vulnerable for, at risk of, or have been subjected to intimate partner violence. In 2019-20, there were almost 850 admissions to this program.
Additional information about eligibility and access to programs and services offered by NL Housing, as well as the current mandate, can be found at the
Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation website
For regional housing enquiries, other than application status, please contact your local regional office:
Avalon Regional Office: 709 724-3000
Corner Brook: 709 639-5201
Gander: 709 256-1300
Goose Bay: 709 896-1920
Grand Falls-Windsor: 709 292-1000
Marystown: 709 279-5375
Stephenville: 709 643-6826